Waldemar has an eclectic mix of architecture, with Adirondack and European influences. Each kampong, a South Sea Island word for "house on stilts," is the home of six to eight campers and one counselor who serves as the "mother" to the group. Our stone Kampongs are built on hillside overlooking the Guadalupe River.
Each kampong features a private bathroom decorated with Spanish tile mosaics and Saltillo tile floors, a bedroom with four bunk beds, air-conditioning and a front porch or courtyard connecting other kampongs together. Every girl is awarded points daily for keeping her clothes and belongings in order as well as sharing in the other housekeeping duties.
We have three main divisions, during long term, that are determined by school grade. Kampongs are then grouped by the division. They will room with girls all classified the same grade. We refer to the youngest girls as "rising" 4th graders or "happy haveners."
4th and 5th Grade
6th and 7th Grade
8th and 9th Grade
Hilltoppers (graduating year as a camper)
When were the Kampongs built?
Happy Haven: 1935
French Chateau: 1938
Swiss Chalet: 1939
Ranch House: 1939
Bella Vista: 1940
Las Brisas: 2002
We had K "Woody's"that had to be replaced by Las Brisas. Three of them moved to the gully for tribal decoration shacks
Want to learn more about the history of Waldemar? Buy your copy of The Waldemar Story at the Camp Waldemar Store website.